Sunday, September 25, 2005

Not All Scooters Are Italian

When I was researching scooters I found all the names and information confusing. Of some importance to me was country of origin. If I was going to add to a trade imbalance I at least wanted to know more informaton.

I'm making no judgements here about build quality from one country to the next. I have a Honda which I am quite please with. Asian countries like India have used scooters as primary transportation for decades so they must know a thing or two about making them. But those Italians have raised the scooter to an art form.

Here are a list of counties and the models sold in the USA from each:

China:

  • TN'G (two new models are assembled in the USA)
India:
Italy:
Japan:
Spain:

  • Derbi (Part of the Piaggio Group)
Taiwan:
United States:

  • TN'G (new "Low Boy" 150 and DR150 only, engine source unknown)
Unknown:

  • Schwinn Scooters (Company is based in Madison WI but most likely import from China)
Various Countries:

  • Tomos (has manufacturing facilities in Slovenia, Holland, Mexico and Ecuador)